- You can't spend what you don't have (at the store they will ask for candy, if they have money they can get some, if not they can't).
- If you save your money you can buy better stuff (more on this later)
- They've learned to tithe (the first 10% goes to God)
- They learned to pay bills (after you tithe you pay Mom back for the hot chocolate she bought you, before you spend anymore money)
- How to count money (Kadin used to take his out and play with it, but it's stored away so it doesn't get lost).
- I'm starting to work with Kadin on budgeting, writing down what you're going to spend, on paper, on purpose (in 15 years this should be second nature for him).
Kadin is now the proud owner of an Onyx black DS, but more importantly he has learned a skill that will serve him the rest of his life. $5 a week seems cheap compared to lessons like that.