Monday, December 31, 2007

God's Return Policy

This Sunday we had Mark Schaufler come and fill the pulpit for us during our pastoral transition. He's actually been here the last 3 weeks (next week will be Master's Commission, and then maybe I'll preach one Sunday). I thought his sermon this last Sunday was very, very good. He talked from Matthew 5:21-24. It's always fun when you've been studying something, and then you hear the pastor on Sunday talk about what you were meditating on all week. Let me tell you, it's even better when you manage to get your thoughts down in a blog, and then they talk about it. I just wanted to get up on the mic and tell everyone to read my blog for confirmation of the sermon.

Pastor Mark started his sermon by talking about the things we need to do in life, and then he talked about how things like unforgiveness put unnecessary obstacles in our way. As an example he had a lady come over and shake my hand. Then he threw a bunch of stuff out on the floor and told her to walk over again, this time without stepping on anything. Then he talked about Matt 5:23, where Jesus says this:

23
"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

What I thought was cool was that Pastor Mark brought out the fact that God says before you even come and worship me, you need to obey me. Without obedience, our worship means nothing to God. This doesn't mean we need to be perfect in order to come to church, but that, as much as we are able, we need to have a right heart before God.

Anyway, just thought that was pretty cool.

-Jeff-

No comments: